Sunday, December 2, 2007

Lessons Learned from Christmas in Reverse

After each musical, inevitably the leaders sit down at some point and talk about "what went right," "what went wrong," and "what could we do better for next year?" Funny how we always learn something. I guess it's good to always be learning, but some lessons are better left unlearned if you ask me. For instance...

1. Children will ask you a million questions, even when you have just said, "Do not ask me any more questions. We will tell you as you need to know."

2. If you stand and lock your knees, it might make you get sick. Yep.

3. If you eat lots of food and then run around and get hot, you will get sick. Yep. Even in the city of Bethlehem.

4. Wise men don't always have to travel with camels.

5. The loudest, most off pitch kid will always manage to end up right under the choir microphone.

It does seem, though, that even in the "yucky" stuff, (see points 2 & 3 above) there are so many blessings and joys that absolutely make you say, "Yeah, I think I'll keep doing this. It's just so much fun." For instance...

1. A little lighted star makes a whole lotta joy.

2. Sparkly, precious angels can light up an entire worship center.

3. Stinky, dirty shepherds bring lots of smiles to faces.

4. Three little kings bring a wealth of treasure to more than just the baby.

5. Mary and Joseph in harmony -- need I say more?

Now that we've done "Christmas in Reverse," I think I'll move on to "Christmas in the Present" -- putting up the tree, shopping, wrapping gifts, Christmas cards, etc. My family will be glad to have me back.

3 comments:

Barb said...

Let's not forget lesson #6: Even in the present day, Adam and Eve are overly eager to eat of the forbidden fruit. Hmm... I think there's a spiritual lesson in that somewhere.

In my eyes the blessings of last night far outweighed the problems. The kids did a wonderful job, and when everyone was gathered back around the manger, it was a beautiful sight.

Paige said...

Well said. The only thing I can add is that you just don't realize how much you love it until you can't be there.

Anonymous said...

And I do love it too. Even as tired as I am - it was all worth it. It's so neat how God continues to take our varied gifts and talents and use them together to create something wonderful. Of course, I guess He's provided us with a pretty powerful story to tell which stands up to continual retelling. And that's more of the magic than anything, I suppose. As much as I loved all of the magical moments and seeing my "baby" do well, too, I think the most powerful moment for me might have been when all the characters reversed and light narrowed to just Jesus in the manger - (some just right lighting, a plastic doll and some fake hay - a real "Wow!" moment.) One day I was working on the set and Jeremy did that one part and it was just as powerful then with no one else there. Something about the light narrowing down to just that one little place. In fact I commented to him how lighting could completely tell a story. Sometimes when we've grown up with the story and seen so many Nativity scenes in our lifetimes - the wonder and awe of what God did in that moment in time can become lost on us (or at least me). I love when those moments become new again. And that probably is why some tired grown-ups and some over eager and (not so much) kids can make a little magic here on Earth simply by trying in our small human ways to tell His story. I love it! Let's do it again - after a nice long rest, of course.