Sunday, September 2, 2007

Be Careful What You Wish For

Was it only a mere five days ago that I was bemoaning my life as a plate juggler and hamster on a wheel? Poor, sad girl...if I could only take it back. I guess the Lord must have a sense of humor because Friday morning I woke up to find myself so dizzy that I could not stand. The entire world was spinning around me. (Not the good kind of "the world revolves around me" either) I have been trapped in bed for the last three days. That I am sitting up now (and able to type) seems a minor miracle. While life went on around me (volleyball, school, work, parties, carpool) I could only listen from afar. And, I dared not even attempt anything more than a small shift of my body or the world would go spinning again. It's a very pitiful and humbling thing to be helped to the bathroom by your 9 year old child and know that if she walks away you're going to hit the floor. My condition is labyrinthitis, an inflammation of the inner ear canal. This condition goes away with time and symptoms are managed by motion sickness pills. Cause? Probably allergies. Or, a little nudge from above, from the Creator of time. Boy, did I have time. Fortunately, prayer can be a motionless activity and I had plenty of time for that. "Be still, and know that I am God..."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry you're feeling bad - it sounds horrible! I hope you feel better soon...and can not only stand but juggle plates as well!

Anonymous said...

So sorry - I figured you were on on some anniversary get-away, so I didn't try to contact you. I've had that and it's definitely an awful feeling! Hope you're on the mend now.

Brenda said...

Oh man, I'm so sorry to hear that. I've had it before and it's no fun. The nurse in the ER asked my if I needed a wheelchair as I staggered down the hall. Closest I've ever been to feeling drunk. Come to think of it, kind of reminds me of walking over Capalano bridge. You will get better, just rest and be still!

Bartley Family said...

My mom has had this - when your body says STOP, you have no choice. Thank goodness for Lifetime - Television for Women on days like that. Hope you are back to yourself soon. Let us know if your family needs dinner!

Barb said...

I hope you're feeling better and up and about today. Let me know if you guys need anything, including an extra set of wheels.