Wednesday, September 12, 2007

A Praise and a Giggle

One of my favorite people in the whole world is my father-in-law, Bobby Holmes. He can exasperate you one minute and have you laughing the next. He is the inventor of one of my favorite phrases: "If someone tells you how to grown corn, look in their corn crib." (I'll explain it to you later.) He is one of the most "content with his life" people that I have ever known. He finds joy in simple things, like growing a garden or playing with his grandchildren. He was diagnosed with cancer in the fall of 2005. He has been travelling to Houston every 2 weeks or so for chemotherapy. He has been blessed with wonderful people to take care of him through this illness.

Jeff called today from Houston to tell us that his dad had received a very good report from the doctor's office. The tumor has not grown any through this last round of chemo. What a praise! They are going to modify the treatment a little and he will start another round in a few weeks. This is an amazing report and a huge blessing.

That was the praise. Here's the giggle...

Jeff said his dad was happy to hear his good report for one reason in particular. One of his first comments was (and I'm paraphrasing here): "Well, I've got to stay alive until November 2008 because I've got to make sure that Hillary Clinton doesn't get in the White House!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea - that is a praise!
And definitely funny!

Barb said...

Preach it, Papa! I think that's great! And PTL for his providence and care during this time.