Thursday, May 1, 2008

If You'll Allow Me a Moment on My Soapbox

Awards ceremonies...who doesn't love/hate them? I've noticed a trend recently in the sports awards banquets that our family has attended. EVERYONE GETS AN AWARD! Coaches are creating awards so that everyone gets something, i.e. "Perfect Attendance at Practice" and "Most Likely to Score If She Plays In Enough Games." Now, don't get me wrong. I believe everyone should be applauded for their hard work; however, when you reward kids "so it's fair," it's just wrong. Allow me to present an example. We'll call her Dee, because I should not use her real name here. Dee was given an award at a recent dinner. Why?!? She had a terrible attitude, often skipped practice, and played with an aggressive, nasty attitude during games. Dee was not nice to her teammates even. So, give her an award. What does this tell Dee? It doesn't matter if you make an effort, you'll still be rewarded. You don't even have to be nice to your own team.

I've been reading "An Inconvenient Book" by Glenn Beck. I came across this very topic today in the book, which prompted me to write this post. Beck says:

We also have to stop giving out 14th-place trophies. For whatever reason, we've adopted the idea that the best thing we can do for our kids is to remove all conflict and struggle from their lives. We're so concerned with people's feelings that we shield them from the truth. When you finish 14th, you don't deserve a trophy.

What you do deserve -- and what you need -- is a lesson in how the real world works. When you don't perform, you get nothing. The phrase is "To the victor go the spoils" not "Spoil those who aren't the victor." If we continue to shelter our kids the way we do, we'll have a generation of adults who can't handle the financial, emotional, and political struggles of everyday life.

Jeff and I spend a great deal of time reminding our kids that "Life's Not Fair." It's our job to help them learn that. And, it's a good lesson to know. Even as adults things happen to us that just aren't fair! (Like the time that...wait, never mind.) We are not always in first place. We may not place at all. (Sorry, Katherine. I thought your fish picture was the best.) And, if they inherited their mother's athletic genes, they will definitely not be receiving the Most Valuable Player Award.

I don't know why I felt compelled to write this, but I do feel better now. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

Blogging: Cheaper Than Therapy

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I completely agree! I deal with that every day with my class. "Why don't I get a prize? Why don't I get a sticker?" Well, life ain't fair and you don't get everything handed to you. Sometimes you have to earn it.

Barb said...

Preach it, sister!

(Oh wait, maybe I shouldn't say that. Women aren't allowed to preach. Life ain't fair!)

Melissa said...

Ditto to all of the above. This world's raising up a generation of kids with a hugely overblown sense of entitlement. Not to mention a princess mentality where the world should revolve around them. Stop the madness!!

Anonymous said...

Oh boy, do I agree. What does it teach kids to get a prize or trophy for not being a good teammate?

My Maggie has learned that you don't always get the blue ribbon...sometimes you place 9th and don't get a ribbon at all...or sometime you come in dead last. Coming in dead last is not always bad. The last time she came in last, was at TAGS (state swim meet). She was 31st...dead last, but yet in the top 50 swimmers in the state for her age...so now...

Not everyone deserves a ribbon or trophy, do they? I survived. :)