Wednesday, May 14, 2008

I'll Sing Your Praise

This has been an especially difficult week. One of my dear friends, Lisa, lost her husband on Friday morning. He suffered a heart attack at the age of 45. Gone. In an instant. No warning. It was a privilege to attend the funeral yesterday and see the memorial to Johnny's life. One of the most precious things Lisa said to me a few days ago was that she had no regrets. There was nothing unsaid between them and God had given them a wonderful week together. I wonder how many of us would be able to say that? I know this situation has given me a greater appreciation for my family, along with an awareness to love them more every day.

I've struggled greatly this week with lots of "Why, God?" Why would God take someone so young? Why would he take him away from his wife and 13-year old daughter? While reading my Bible this morning, I "happened" across Psalm 146. As I read those words, a song our choir sang recently came into my head -- "When I don't know what to do...I'll sing Your praise." So, that's what I'm doing this morning. I don't know what to do. I don't know what to say. So, I'm going to praise.

Psalm 146

Praise the LORD.
Praise the LORD, O my soul.

2 I will praise the LORD all my life;
I will sing praise to my God as long as I live.

3 Do not put your trust in princes,
in mortal men, who cannot save.

4 When their spirit departs, they return to the ground;
on that very day their plans come to nothing.

5 Blessed is he whose help is the God of Jacob,
whose hope is in the LORD his God,

6 the Maker of heaven and earth,
the sea, and everything in them—
the LORD, who remains faithful forever.

7 He upholds the cause of the oppressed
and gives food to the hungry.
The LORD sets prisoners free,

8 the LORD gives sight to the blind,
the LORD lifts up those who are bowed down,
the LORD loves the righteous.

9 The LORD watches over the alien
and sustains the fatherless and the widow,
but he frustrates the ways of the wicked.

10 The LORD reigns forever,
your God, O Zion, for all generations.
Praise the LORD.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Ditto...and Amen

teresa said...

Oh, that is so sad. It really gets you thinking when something like that hits so close to home. I feel the same way you do about family and cherishing every minute. I am thankful that we have a Heavenly Father to go home to when the time does come. What do others who don't know Jesus think at times like this?

Bartley Family said...

I am so sorry Genny. That is hard! What could say it better than God's word. Reminds me of the "Behind the Praise" service we did a couple of years ago and the stories people shared - James Boothe about his father and Jan Moses - God is good.

Penny said...

Over the past two years I have been asked what is God speaking to you. The thing that continues to speak to me is to praise Him regardless. Keep praising Him!