Sunday, April 27, 2008

Bragging on My Kids

No, not the three who live with me...the 25 from church that belong to me. Yes, they belong to me! Wild Worship sang in both services in church this morning. Our first song, "I Am Free" was an upbeat, fun song that we sang along with the band while a video played. Earlier in the semester we had filmed the kids running, jumping, dancing, etc. Our second song, "The Lord Is My Shepherd" was very different from the first, a more structured, choral song. Barb discovered it while in Scotland. I was so proud of the kids for singing such a hard song, with incredible three-part harmony. It was beautiful and the congregation responded to it very well.

In addition, the newly-formed Wild Worship handbell group played "Majesty" for the offertory. I believe it was only a few months ago someone told me that bells weren't for children to play. Well, I guess we proved that wrong this morning. The congregation immediately started applauding when the girls finished.

We ended our semester tonight with a big party: pizza, cupcakes, door prizes, gifts for teachers and kids alike. We said goodbye to our 6th graders, some of whom I've had in choir since they were in first grade.

I count it a privilege and a blessing to work with these kids every week. They are sweet, funny, challenging, hard-working, and a joy to be around. (Better than most adults!) What an amazing task, to teach them about worshipping our Lord and giving Him our best.

I was thinking tonight about the day we labeled our choir WILD Worship, and how that acronym is even more appropriate today than it was two years ago:

W - Wholehearted
I - Intense
L - Lifelong
D - Devoted

I pray our worship will be just that.

4 comments:

Peas on Earth said...

Thanks for letting me be a part of them! :-)

Barb said...

I'll second Sharon's comment. Thanks for letting me (and Sharon) work with such a fabulous group of kids. Every time Dr. Wolfe tells me I need to quit children's choir, I remind him that it is my sanity. I'm going to miss it for the next 4 months (though I admit the break will be nice too).

And "The Lord Is My Shepherd" was fabulous.

Bartley Family said...

So proud of your kids and whoever said handbells weren't for kids is crazy. I learned how to read music by playing handbells in Lutheran school/church. I wish we had been there to hear it and I'm sure they were fabulous - Kelsie will miss you guys!

teresa said...

That is amazing! I would have loved to have heard the girls with the handbells. I miss that at our church. Kids can make you so proud!