Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Double Celebration Day - May 26

May 26 was a day of double celebration -- Memorial Day and Jeff's birthday. We are grateful for the sacrifices that our country's veterans made for our freedom. The weather was absolutely perfect, so we spent most of the day outdoors.

Jeff had requested breakfast in bed BEFORE he got up at 5:30 a.m. and exercised. Uh, yeah....that happened. I told him if he wanted to sleep in and get up at a reasonable hour, then I would bring him breakfast in bed. Poor guy ended up with a bowl of cold cereal. As is tradition in our house, we decided to have him open his present after breakfast. His gift was in the back of the van because none of us could lift it.

Outdoor fire pit, Jeff's gift
Unfortunately, he had to put it together, too.

Abigail helps with lunch on the grill



I'm pretty sure Jeff beat
Katherine bad throwing washers.

After lunch, it was time for swimming and volleyball.
The pool was a little chilly for me, so I was designated photographer.
Holmes Team A

Holmes Team B

Some great action shots of volleyball. I learned how to use the "continuous shots" setting on my camera, so I ended up with about 75 pics of the games. I pared it down to four.



The looks on their faces were funny when Katherine's great shot tore down the net.

We put 4 and 3 candles on the cake because
"Dad, if we used 43 we could burn the house down!"

After cake we headed downtown to see the Fort Worth Cats
take on the Shreveport Sports.


This was our view of Dodger, the cats mascot.
A couple times I thought he would fall on us.

Rebecca learned how to keep score in baseball. We stuffed ourselves with snowcones, frito pies, hotdogs, cotton candy and pretzels. The game was exciting and the Cats pulled off a last minute win, 6-5. (Thanks to Jeff and his rally cap.)




Most exciting was the fireworks show after the game. Beautiful! I wish I had pics, but my camera doesn't have that setting. All in all, a wonderful day celebrating the great men of our country.

6 comments:

Barb said...

Looks like a wonderful day. I'm glad you all had such a great time. Happy Birthday, Jeff.

Anonymous said...

HE DID NOT BEAT ME!!!!!
ok once
BUT THEN I BEAT HIM!!!!!!
):<

Anonymous said...

looks like fun - glad you had a good time.

Peas on Earth said...

Happy birthday, Jeff! (You share a birthday with my son and my brother! Aren't you privileged!??) Sounds like a great day, with the exclusion of the cold cereal, of course.

Anonymous said...

Jeff,
I am so-o-o-o sorry you had to have "cold cereal" for breakfast on your birthday. That is just so sad! I thought I taught her better than that, at least for a special occasion. If you had been here, I would have prepared for you home-made biscuits,crispy "pig" bacon, eggs anyway you like, fresh fruit with or without yogurt and fresh squeezed orange juice. I can see the bad looks we're getting now..."I'm not my mother!!!" Well she makes up for it in other ways doesn't she?

teresa said...

Tell Jeff we said, "Happy Birthday!". Looks like ya'll had a great Memorial Day. I would not have gotten up before 5:30 to serve breakfast in bed either! My goodness what do they think we are SUPER women?!?!