Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Is It Just Me?

Is it just me? Probably. This is such a small thing, really, but something that just bugs me. Early in our school year we can order items of clothing from the school's booster club. They call it "spirit wear." Whatever. Anyway, the volleyball booster club had a table where sweatshirts were on display. A particular sweatshirt was labeled as available for purchase by 10th-12th graders only. Didn't know why. Katherine really liked that it was different - a white, hooded sweatshirt that proclaimed, "Grace Prep Volleyball." (It was really cute.) So, I plunked down a whopping $32 and placed my order. I didn't really have a problem with the money because that sweatshirt will end up being her winter coat for school. But I digress...

We received word yesterday that the sweatshirt was in the office. When Katherine went to pick it up, the shirt they gave her was gray. She told them it was the wrong color and would need to check with her mom. Tonight I asked the woman in charge (hereinafter known as volleyball mom) about the mix up. "Oh, I'm sorry," she said, not looking sorry at all. "There was a terrible miscommunication. The WHITE hooded sweatshirts are for the VARSITY volleyball players ONLY." I'm sorry. What did you say? Volleyball mom starts looking uncomfortable here. "I don't understand," I say, "the sign pinned to the sweatshirt clearly said 10th - 12th grade volleyball players." "Well, yes...hesitate...stumble...pause...there was just so much going on, and I should have caught the order, blah, blah, blah..." Meanwhile, I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the fact that there are now limitations on the color of shirts we can wear (0r not wear) to school based on the fact that we have not yet reached that pinnacle of success in the athletic world -- varsity team. I mean, we're not talking about game uniforms or playing ball here. We're talking about a shirt that is worn to class!

So, volleyball mom does graciously give me the option to have my money reimbursed or keep the gray shirt. Ah, no, I don't think we'll be keeping the shirt. It's the principle, right? Or, am I the one with the problem? Don't tell me. I just needed to vent.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can vent all you want. It's your blog and it's your daughter. And it's your whopping $32 for a high school sweatshirt! (Can you tell that I agree with you?) Sometimes, you have to stand up for principle, even over sweatshirts.

Barb said...

I'm sorry, but that's completely obnoxious that people think they can control what color sweatshirt you wear. Good for you for standing up for your principles, and your money.

Anonymous said...

Oooh that makes me mad - it's just one more way for a certain group of people to try and show that they are better than the others. That whole thing of I'm a higher class or better whatever and I want everyone to know it and I'll spend every waking moment of my life trying to continue to be better, richer, etc. AND make sure everyone knows it - "keeping up with the Joneses" has been ramped up a notched - it's insane. Bigger house, more expensive car, cuter sweatshirt, not because they are better neccessarily but because then people will know where we fit into the whole spectrum of success or whatever...when will it stop - and I know the answer - It won't. And might I just add -"What's wrong with people!" Touched a nerve with me too, I guess. And while I'm at it, $32 for a sweatshirt seems like highway robbery. I know they are raising money, but they could sell more shirts for less and make just as much or more money - oh, but I forgot, then it wouldn't be exclusive enough. Forgot the point there for a minute.

And by the way - what are you doing up at 4:13 am Paige?! Get some sleep!