Friday, October 5, 2007

Fall...Are You Ever Going to Get Here?

I've done everything I know to do. I bought a pumpkin for my porch. I purchased a bag of decorative gourds for my kitchen table. I pulled out all my fall decorations this week and set them up all over the house. I even had hot tea with dinner tonight. (Actually, that one doesn't count, because I pretty much have hot tea every night.) In spite of all these preparations, fall still has not arrived. Can anyone tell me why it is October 5th and it feels like August 5th? Good grief. What is going on with our weather? I'm ready for sweaters and scarves, boots and jackets. I'm actually ready to consign my flip-flops to the back of the closet. At this point, I think I'd probably settle for temps in the high 70's. Wait! I just remembered some of the best things about fall...sweats, fuzzy socks and chai tea. How could I have forgotten chai tea? Not just any chai tea either...the kind sold at Borders. Can I get a witness?

Until fall arrives, I'll have to find comfort in these photos, taken during a little cold snap last November.

Isn't there a poem about "when the frost is on the pumpkin?"
I'll have to look that up.

Think cold, snow, ice...wait, not ice.

Snap, crackle, pop...I love a good fire.
(Photo by Katherine)

Finally, in my ongoing effort to bring about the autumn season, I've added a new poll to the blog. Check in and let me know your favorite cold weather beverage. Hope to see you with a scarf around your neck soon!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I guess my answer to the first question would be because July 5th felt more like April 5th? And I want new gloves from Sam Moon. (When are we going?) I lost one and Aaron took the other. He loves my magic scarves too. I have to hide them. We've got some great snow pics from last year too. I'll have to post some in the spirit of getting the seasons moving in the right direction.

Anonymous said...

I agree! We are going to the state fair today and it should be cool! Not hot! It's just wrong, wrong, wrong! My fall decorations aren't bringing autumn, either.

Barb said...

Well, at least this morning felt a LITTLE closer to autumn, but not enough. As for scarves, as I was still wearing them in July, I could still go a little longer without putting one around my neck. But I am ready for the cooler weather.