Monday, January 21, 2008

It Was a Beastly Day

One of the benefits of homeschooling is that you can ditch schoolwork for a day and go to the zoo! Or, as we call it in homeschool lingo, a "field trip." I think Abigail chose the most perfect day to go, sunny and breezy, right before all this cold, wet stuff came along. At times it was like we were the only two people in the zoo. Our initial plans were just to visit a couple areas, but it was so nice we went through the whole zoo. Oh, and because we walked so much, we also counted that as P.E. Yea, that's how it works.



Abigail on her shell phone. Hah!
Fun Fact: The American White Pelican can hold up to 3 gallons of water in its bill.

This mountain lion was crazy. He kept pacing back and forth in his cage.
Every time he would turn, his eyes would scrape the fence.
You can see the blood above his eyes in this photo.

Oh, how we love the white tiger. Incredibly beautiful and so big!
Also pacing...makes you wonder what they're thinking.

The lion was awesome. Usually he lies up on the rocks and sleeps.
On this visit, we could hear him roaring when we
were still in the parking lot. So cool!


The flamingos were so fun. We loved watching them stand on their spindly legs, and fight, and scoop the water with their funny bills. The most hilarious thing was how they were caged. We decided that these birds are segregated. The light pink birds were on one side of the sidewalk and the dark orange ones were on the other side. I'm keeping their pictures separate here, too.


We talked about how God must have a sense of humor, with all the funny, odd, weird-looking animals that He created. And, how creative He really is, to think of so many patterns and designs for fur, skin and feathers.

Not a bad way to spend a school day.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like fun. We definitely like the zoo best when it's not crowded - especially Aaron. Another benefit of homeschooling - going when everyone else is in school. Wish we were there to go to the zoo too! And I think we could cover every subject and then some with a trip to the zoo. Sounds like the perfect school day to me.

Barb said...

Yeah, a new post! I was getting tired of reading about Hairspray. Of course, I don't suppose I can say too much...
Looks like you had a LOVELY day. I want to go back to the zoo again. I haven't been since our trip a couple of years ago. I don't suppose they do homeschooling at the PhD level...

Peas on Earth said...

Kinda reminds me of a (very poorly written) children's musical ...

;-)
sharon

Paige said...

Umm, where can I be a homeschool teacher?

Genny said...

Melissa, come to Ft. Worth and we'll go to the zoo with you.

Barb, I'll look into the PhD level of homeschooling.

Sharon, Poorly written...whatever!

Paige,
1. Find a husband.
2. Have a child.
3. Child gets older -- homeschool.
That was easy!

Anonymous said...

Your Zoo is so much cooler than ours...I would go everyday and watch the gorilla's and chimps, if I lived in Ft. Worth.

BTW - you must check out my friend
Lissa's website.http://melissawiley.typepad.com/bonnyglen/

She's got great homeschooling ideas.

Peas on Earth said...

Genny, I meant poorly written ... originally. =)

Paige, if you ever do decide to home school, there will be some days when you look back on your time in the trailer with longing ... =)

Genny said...

Sharon,

OK....now I get it!

Barb said...

Is that all it takes to do homeschooling? Well, I'd better get started...

Paige said...

wow, Genny, I do believe this post has surprisingly gotten the most comments ever. And, if your suggestions were that easy, then it would have happened a long time ago!!! But, I do have an easy button now...do you think it would work?

Barb said...

Paige, if the easy button works, I'm going to be very upset that I didn't get one a long time ago!

Genny said...

Barb,
You can have my Easy Button.

Barb said...

Thanks, Genny! I don't guess you need the easy button anymore.