Sunday, January 13, 2008

I May Never Use Hairspray Again

My girls were introduced to the movie "Hairspray" during our mother-daughter retreat last weekend. It was a cute show, and I enjoyed watching it -- ONCE. Due to the kindheartedness of Michele, the movie's owner, we kept the movie to watch again, and Again, and AGAIN! I'll have to do something to (I mean, for) Michele the next time I see her. Really. Thanks, Michele. I really can't thank you enough. Truly. Words cannot express. We watch the movie, we sing the movie, we REALLY sing the movie. We sing it so much that it gets into our heads and we cannot sleep at night because we are singing, "When I was Miss Baltimore Crabs..." and "Good Morning, Baltimore!" Aaagggghhhhh!!! Make it stop!!

So, here are a few reasons why I may never use hairspray again:

1. John Travolta as a woman -- ewwwww...
2. Christopher Walken - just creepy (and married to Travolta -- double ewwww...)
3. the songs -- they slither into your brain and won't go away
4. Did I mention John Travolta as a woman in pink sparkles?
5. When Rebecca was complaining about her hair this morning, I found myself recommending that she use "Ultra Clutch" hairspray. What's that all about?
6. John Travolta in red sequins with gold tassles -- 'nuff said

I will say that I absolutely loved Michelle Pfeiffer and James Marsden. Fantastic performances! I even thought Zac Efron sang well (better than High School Musical anyway). The dancing was fun. Wait...I feel a song coming on...NOOOOOOOOOOO!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry. We've moved on to a new musical - well actually an old one, but new to Michele. Newsies! - I can't get "Seize the Day" out of my head. And I guess we have raised them to love musicals. Maybe you could get the girls to move on to another one so at least you'd have new music stuck in your head. Not sure I have any ideas for removing John Travolta in sparkles and tassles from the brain. Definitely a bit of an "Ewwww" kind of picture.

Anonymous said...

Hee, the first time I saw this, I thought John Travolta, ewww..
Then the 2nd time I saw it, I thought, Wow, he's dancing in High Heels. The third time I saw it, I thought this is the first time Christopher Walken hasn't seemed scary to me. The 4th time I saw it,
I thought that Corny Collins is so cute. The 5th time I saw it, I thought Michele Phiffer can really sing......

And let me add, my youngest, has been watching musicals all her life. She especially likes "Annie Get Your Gun"...there's one to check out.

Barb said...

I watched Hairspray over the Christmas break, and I agree, John Travolta as a woman was quite a picture, one I'd like to get out of my head as well. But the movie was quite fun, and I enjoyed it. I may have to check out Newsies - never seen it. But I love musicals, especially The Sound of Music and Fiddler on the Roof.

Paige said...

I love Newsies. I must also recommend my personal favorite, On the Town starring Gene Kelly and Frank Sinatra. Great, now I'm going to have that in my head. =)

Anonymous said...

*sound* of theatrical music*
(in singsongy voice)
I can hear the bells...
well, dontcha hear 'em chime?
can't ya feel my heartbeat keeping
perfect time, and all because he...
touched me he looked at me and stared yes it hit me! just like a ton of bricks yes my heart burst and know i know what lifes about...
*drifts into the distances*

Genny said...

Anonymous you are EVIL!!!

Anonymous said...

i think i feel another song coming on!!!!!!

*more music*

i cant see why people look at me, and only see the color of my face, oh yeahh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

do NOT call me EVIL!!!!!
or i will sing MORE!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I am very sorry for the inconvenience Mrs. Genny. I do have to admit that it wasn't very hard to part with the movie after seeing it three times that week already! My mom is right if you want to get Hairspray songs out of your head Newsies is definitely a good one and its also historical!!! you can't beat that! :) oh and the first song quote from "anonymous" is wrong but I will restrain from correcting her/him.