Saturday, August 24, 2013

Mocha-Filled Banana Cupcakes - Take 2

READ. INSTRUCTIONS. C-A-R-E-F-U-L-L-Y. 

Or, you will find yourself wasting time and money and food and...time!
I've been wanting to try a new cupcake recipe and this one was at the top of the list -- Mocha-Filled Banana Cupcakes. No one in my house is a big fan of mocha flavoring, so that's probably why it's taken me so long to get to them. I was in a baking mood yesterday, and my friend, Cody, was headed back to college so it seemed like the perfect time to make them as a going away gift.

Essentially you make two batters -- one banana and one mocha filling. About midway through I completely botched the recipe. I added all the liquids to the cream cheese/mocha filling instead of adding them to the flour mixture. And, there is no way to fix that except to remake everything. Of course I didn't have anymore bananas or cream cheese or buttermilk...grrrr....off to the store I go.

Now, my mother will be laughing at this next part, because in my lifetime I think I have thrown away literally thousands of pounds of bananas that ripened and didn't get eaten. Thousands. I'm not kidding. Several years ago someone (thank you, whoever you were) suggested that I freeze the bananas and use them in recipes later. Genius!! (Of course, now I have a freezer full of brown bananas. Well, not now, because they are all in the garbage from yesterday. See explanation above.

But, I digress. Out with the old and in with the new! Bananas, that is. The cupcakes were time-consuming even without the extra time to remake everything. And, they look really good and taste great as well. I'm not sure I would make them again based on that, but they have been made and I've got a dozen of them sitting on my counter if anyone wants to drop by.





1 comment:

Barb said...

Glad the second batch turned out.