Sunday, August 4, 2013

Luau - The Feast at Lele

The luau was by far our favorite activity that we participated in during our visit to Maui. The Feast at Lele was held in an amphitheater-type setting right off the water in Lahaina. We were treated to great food, drinks and entertainment for three hours. There were four courses of food, representing the cultural influences on Hawaii - Polynesia, Tahiti, New Zealand and Samoa. Each course had its own food and entertainment. Here's a small sampling of the evening.

As we came in we chose a drink and were given a beautiful lei, something I had wanted since we arrived on the island. We drank fresh squeezed guava juice and ate fried plaintain and purple sweet potato chips with a delicious fresh island salsa.





Polynesian Course:
Pohole Fern, Asparagus and Heart of Palm Salad
Swordfish with Mango/Pineapple Salsa
Fresh Kalu'a Pork with Poi and Cabbage

Hula Dancers

Pina Colada - delicious!

New Zealand Course:
Upcountry Greens Duck Salad with Poha Berry Vinaigrette
Harore Kumara (Roasted Mushrooms with Sweet Potato)
Kuku Patties (Fishcake with Scallops and Shrimp)

Haka, War Dance

Fire and Knife Dancer

What a wonderful evening this was. I'm guessing there won't be another like it, unless I can talk Jeff into going back to Hawaii next year. I'm going to start saving my pennies, just in case...

1 comment:

Barb said...

Looks like it was a lot of fun, and beautiful too. I'm afraid if I went to a luau I would come away hungry. That food doesn't look very Barb-kosher. :)