Saturday, August 8, 2009

Can It Be? Only Nine Days Remaining...

Just a few days ago, or so it seems, the whole of summer was laid out before us, like a huge gift waiting to be unwrapped. Now I feel like I'm holding an opened gift singing "It's my party, I'll cry if I want to!" Summer is essentially over.

I knew that the minute Monday morning dawned with volleyball practice and piano camp, and orthodontist appointments, and sports physicals, and last minute trips to Mardel to buy forgotten books, and school uniforms purchased, and SOMEBODY STOP ME! I'M ALREADY ON THE RUNAWAY SCHOOL TRAIN!!!

I knew this was going to happen, but somehow I forgot to remind my body and my brain that when we pulled into the garage on Sunday, August 2nd, VACATION WAS OVER. There was no gentle easing into what would soon become, oh, let's call it Rush Week. (No one's joining any sororities around here, we really were rushing around that much.) And this week will be more of the same. Heavy, heavy sigh...the sound of the surf is but a distant memory to me now...

And so, I will do as I have always done. Put on my big girl panties and deal with it. And, think of at least five things that I love about the end of summer/start of school. Give me a minute, here. This is hard. I'm thinking....thinking...

1. the smell of freshly sharpened pencils
2. new books

Five minutes elapsed...whew, this is harder than I thought!

3. the new television season?...wait, I don't watch TV. Doesn't count!

Ten minutes elapsed...

I'm gonna have to get back to you on this one.

3 comments:

Penny said...

I am there with you. John started 6:00 am cross country practice this week. I don't do 5:45 am in the summer very well.
One possibility might be all three of your girls go to school on the same day this year. You will be making less trips to school!

Barb said...

you make me laugh, especially the "big girl panties" comment. it is definitely hard to believe the summer is over, though. i'm mourning it with you, though i'm also really excited about what the new school year will bring.

Genny said...

Thanks, Penny! I had forgotten that biggie. For the first time EVER, all my kids will be gone on Monday, Wednesday and Friday -- together! Yea!