Monday, March 16, 2009

Still My Baby Girl

She's eleven now. Preteen. Growing like a weed. Most likely hormonal. Fights with her sister -- constantly. Doesn't need help with schoolwork. Wants to accomplish everything by herself.  But tonight she was my little girl again.  It's probably due to the fact that Jeff is out of the country, but I don't care.  

As Abigail was getting into bed she hugged me and held on longer than normal. Like she really wanted me to be there. How could I pass up the opportunity? "Do you want me to read  you a story?" I asked. "Sure," she responded. I told her I would choose the books.  Silly choices on my part, really. Two were books I had as a child:  "The Big Golden Book of Counting" (probably on a toddler level) and "Little Black Sambo," still a favorite. The other was "Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats" by T.S. Eliot.   I told her all the things I remembered that I loved about them as a child. We laughed as I read them in the voices my mother read them to me in.  ("Oh! Please Mr. Tiger, don't eat me up!")  I read about a couple of Eliot's cats and we had a hard time not singing them with the music from "CATS."  

A wonderful moment for me brought to us by Spring Break -- a great time to slow down, spend time with family, and stay up late reading silly books.  How often we just wish our kids would GO TO BED because we are tired and have so much to do before we can get in bed ourselves.   Thankfully, we have all week to stay up late, reading...and Abigail has already picked out our book for tomorrow night.

3 comments:

Barb said...

How sweet! And that's an adorable picture of Abigail.

Melissa said...

Okay, that made me cry. Or maybe it's because I'm back in Brownwood. Or maybe it's because my only baby girl is away all week(and talking about moving away from me more often than I like to hear). Whatever the case, it does go too fast and we do miss so much just wishing for a little peace and quiet in the middle of it all sometimes. And I'm glad the youngest of my babies has moments of enjoying still being my baby too.

I hope you have a wonderful week with the girls (and that Rebecca doesn't insist on too much organizing for her Spring Break fun choice.)

Anonymous said...

So sweet.