Thursday, January 22, 2009

To All Those Who Won't Win a Ribbon This Year

This post is dedicated to all those kids who won't win a ribbon at the Fort Worth Stock Show Art Contest this year. Something you need to know:  just because you didn't get a ribbon, doesn't mean you aren't a good artist. Take the painting on the right, for example.  What crazy judge would not award this beautiful painting something?  I mean, come on, honorable mention at least?  It just goes to show that sometimes my mother was right, especially when she said, "There's just no accounting for taste."  

We're going to the rodeo on Saturday and will go by the pavilion and see the art posted.  Winners won't be announced until next Saturday. We had that date reserved, fingers crossed, but we're doing something else now.  I hope that this painting will at least be displayed on the wall.  It will be fun to stand nearby and see if anyone makes comments on it.  

And, one day, when this artist is all grown up and making money (hopefully), we'll look back at this painting and say, "So, how much are the early works of Katherine Holmes going for these days? That much?!?"

5 comments:

Barb said...

well i for one think it's fabulous! and i agree with your mom.

oh, and when those early works of Katherine's are going for thousands or more, i can say i have one (hopefully four by then) painting but i'm not parting with it!

Penny said...

The joy come through in your words! After my Fine Arts class which was really an art humanities class, I have a new appreciation for art. Don't know if I will make it to the Stock Show but if we do I will make sure I go to the art exhibit.
Great picture!

Michele Davis said...

I still can't believe she didn't place... I think I will sue!!!

Anonymous said...

I love looking for Katherine's art at the stock show. It's a great painting - and I don't just say that because I know and like the artist. I know you want a ribbon at the judging, but I think you would get a ribbon from all of us if we could!

Penny said...

You really should listen to Paige. Anyone who has a $10,000 painting their way should know something about art! :)