Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Circus Peanuts...I Don't Get It

Orange candy, shaped like a peanut, that tastes like a banana. Oooooo-kkaaayyyy. Orange-colored, fake-flavored styrofoam if you ask me. And, you didn't, but that's o.k. Jeff and Rebecca were singing the praises of circus peanuts tonight, which prompted me to write this post. I cannot stand circus peanuts. They're so...so...orange! And chewy...and orange! Jeff and Rebecca were reflecting on the "freshness" of a particular bag they had eaten this evening. Even that's not enough to reel me in.

I did a little research on these rather interesting looking candies and discovered they were invented in the 1800's. Orange is the most popular color (why?) and the flavor is artificial banana. (No wonder I don't like them. Worst artificial flavor ever -- banana.) In 1963, a VP at General Mills put shavings of circus peanuts on his breakfast cereal. (ugh) This led to the creation of Lucky Charms cereal. Who knew? I even found a website that had discussions of which marshmallow candies were the best: circus peanuts or peeps! So, let me hear from you about your favorite gooey, marshmallow treat. I vote for Peeps! (And Easter is just around the corner.)

10 comments:

Barb said...

Circus peanuts, without a doubt, beat Peeps. I'm not sure why I love them. I mean, as you noted, they're ORANGE. And I don't like bananas. But somehow I look past both of those issues and enjoy circus peanuts very much (though only one at a time, since they're SO sweet!).

Anonymous said...

Definitely peeps and I can only eat about one of those a year. Too sweet. (Generally speaking, I prefer my sugar wrapped in chocolate.) Never had a circus peanut, but I'm against anything in the artificial banana flavored food group so I can safely say, now that I know, one will never cross my lips. Banana is one natural flavor that has never made a successful transition to artificial flavor (in my opinion of course). Yuck! And ORANGE! Double Yuck!!

krista and ryan said...

Genny I found you through Sharon Bower's blog...It was great to read about the girls and how they are growing up!!! Hard to believe Rebecca!!! I have a blog too. It's
www.ryankrista1223.blogspot.com. I will continue to keep up reading all the wonderful things your family is up to. Oh by the way Nerissa just had a baby boy Jasen:) On a much more serious not I hate circus peanuts and peeps...Give me gummy bears or candy corn anyday:)

Paige said...

I have to agree with Genny on this one. And, I'm amazed that 2 of the pickiest eaters I know, Barb and Rebecca, actually like circus peanuts.

Anonymous said...

Rice Krispy treats and smores are my favorite things with a marshmellow.

Just the word "Peeps" makes me sick.;)

Anonymous said...

hey! dont be hating on the circus peanuts!!!and artificial banana is the best flavor ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Barb said...

you know, I never even noticed that the flavor of circus peanuts was banana. That tells me they weren't very successful in creating the artificial banana flavor.

Peas on Earth said...

Barb, I never noticed that the flavor was banana either, but it's been a long time since I had one of those confections (not that I'm complaining.) Given the choice, I vote for Peeps. I can eat several in a sitting, but usually only once a year. Give me dark chocolate with nuts or peanut butter or something, and a veggie pizza, and ... oh, wait. That was a different post. :-)

Penny said...

I can't believe you did not know it was banana flavoring. Banana flavoring is definitely the worse. It makes me sick. To answer your question, NEITHER! Give me chocolate and forget the circus peanuts and the peeps.

Barb said...

Genny, I sure hope learning about the banana flavoring doesn't change my love for circus peanuts the next time I eat one.