Wednesday, February 20, 2008

What's In Your Library?




"I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage."
"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers." Charles W. Eliot

I've had a lifelong love affair with books. From my earliest memories, books have always called out to me -- come, sit down, read. Now they say, "Come, sit down, read -- the housework will wait." I especially love fiction, but try (sometimes) to read several non-fiction books every year.
What are you currently reading that you would recommend? And, what are some of your all-time favorites? Please, pull up a chair and share.

On My Bedside Table:
Taming Rafe by Susan May Warren
Steve & Me by Terri Irwin
A Season of Shadows by Paul McCusker
True Light by Terri Blackstock

My Favorites:
O'Malley Series by Dee Henderson
The Mitford Series by Jan Karon
Charlotte's Web by E.B. White
The Trumpet of the Swan by E.B. White
Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein
Andrew Henry's Meadow by Doris Burn
Making Children Mind Without Losing Yours by Kevin Leman
The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman
Parenting With Love and Logic
by Cline and Fay
The Way They Learn by Cynthia Tobias
Honey and Salt by Carl Sandburg
The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis

Happy Reading! The housework will wait...

6 comments:

Paige said...

I love this post so much that I'm going to write my own post about it. No wonder you're my friend - you love books I think even more than I do!

Barb said...

Well, you know I am a book addict too. I'll have to share my list at some point, but for now, work calls. =(

Anonymous said...

Two books I'm reading right now.

1. 1776 by David McColluogh
2. Political Speeches and Writings of Elanor Roosevelt.

I'm going to have sit and think about some of my favorites. I love books too.

Peas on Earth said...

Wow ... reading. I've done some of that. Unfortunately, not lately - unless it is juvenile literature you're looking for. :-) I will have to think about this, and like Paige, I may just make my own post. Who knows!? OK ... gotta get back to reading ... the grocery list, the calendar, the junk mail, the recipe, the small print, the user's manual, .... see? I read. \:-P

Bartley Family said...

Well, I have completely devoured everything I can get my hands on Karen Kingsbury. The Baxter family series is a recent favorite. I also have read everything by John Grisham except his newest one - I will wait until it comes out in paperback. Mostly these days I have had to limit my reading to "Detectives in Togas" (my daughters 3rd grade reading), the couple of magazines I get, and the newspaper. I recently read/skimmed "The No Asshole Rule" at Barnes and Noble the other night - interesting. My summer reading list is growing and I hope to read the Grisham book as mentioned, some of the historical fiction from McCollough. I love to read too and I love our church library.

Anonymous said...

Genny...was Mrs. Sanders your second grade teacher? I ask, because I see the two E.B. White books she read to us. To this day, the first books I read to my children are "Charlotte's Web" and "Trumpet of the Swan" and it's because of Mrs. Sanders.