Monday, February 25, 2008

Thoughts on Birthdays

We know we're getting old when the only thing we want for our birthday is not to be reminded of it. ~ author unknown

Thanks to modern medical advances such as antibiotics, nasal spray, and Diet Coke, it has become routine for people in the civilized world to pass the age of 40, sometimes more than once. ~Dave Barry

Old age is not so bad when you consider the alternative. ~ Maurice Chevalier

The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age. - Lucille Ball

It's not the birthdays I mind so much; it's the getting older. ~ Genny Holmes

9 comments:

Barb said...

I agree. So happy birthday, and remember, you're only as old as you feel. Right?

Anonymous said...

Oh dear, Barb. I hope I'm not as old as I feel today. But I definitely agree it's not the birthdays that are the problem. And you will all always be younger than me. Does that make anyone feel better?

And all that aside, I hope you are having a Happy Birthday, Genny.

Peas on Earth said...

I think it's "You're only as old as you acknowledge," isn't it? I've routinely said in the last 2 months, "I just had my last birthday!" :-)

Aw, Genny, you may be getting older, but you're definitely getting better. Happy Birthday, dear! :-)
Sharon

Paige said...

Happy Birthday!

Barb said...

Sharon, I tried to quit having birthdays two years ago, but for some reason they keep coming around every 365 days. I guess it is better than the alternative though.

Genny said...

In spite of the aging thing, I did have a wonderful birthday yesterday, thanks to my family and friends. I received many great gifts and have eaten some delicious meals. Thank you all for making my day special.

Penny said...

I say bring it on. I slave in the kitchen cooking the kids favorite meal and dessert. I am ready for someone to acknowledge my birthday and cook for me! I have teenagers I have to be at least a certain age or I deal with too many questions :)
Yesterday was Patricia's spiritual birthday.

Bartley Family said...

Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday dear Genny. Happy Birthday to you! (Said in a sing song voice)

Paige said...

Okay - I have no idea why the related search comes up with bugs. That's so weird!