Thursday, May 13, 2010

It's Not a Post As Much as a Confession

By now you are probably tired of reading about how Katherine did this, and Rebecca did that...well, unless you are Grandmother. It could be for the reason that we've attended 3, 127 banquets/award ceremonies this year. I mean, it's almost a hobby with us. We wouldn't know what to do with ourselves if we didn't have to dress up, go eat chicken and pick up a couple certificates. With that in mind, Abigail was invited to the "Junior High Awards Ceremony." Unlike every other event at GPA, the dress is casual and there is no rubber chicken.

Thinking back to a few years ago (nine to be exact) when Katherine received her first invitation to the Elementary Awards Day... we were so thrilled, honored, excited that OUR child would be given the respect she was due. We lauded her, we bought new clothes, we embraced every aspect of that day; and, she was rewarded and we beamed and snapped pictures. (Now that I think about it, we might have gone a little over the top. Maybe. It's been nine years, you know.)

Fast forward to 2010 -- Abigail's invitation comes in the mail. "Great," we think. "We'll have to sit through 2 hours of 1st through 6th grade awards before they even get to the 7th graders. Abigail, do you really want to go?" Shame. I know. I feel the shame just reading the words. My poor baby didn't even get a new shirt to wear to the ceremony. And, it was as nightmarish as I thought it would be. How many P.E. awards can there be? Must everyone be a "Presidential Physical Fitness" recipient?

Finally, finally we came to the Junior High portion of the night. Abigail, as expected was called up to receive the High Honor Roll Award. No surprise there. (2nd row, far right)

The surprise of the night came when she was awarded the Model Student in History. She hasn't received one of these awards since 4th grade, the biggest hindrance being that she doesn't like to participate/speak out in class. (a requirement for that award) I could tell she was pleased and I was so happy for her.

Abigail and friends showing their "High Honor Roll" Certificates
UPSIDE DOWN!
Before I took the picture they said, "Let's pretend we're not smart."
Teenagers!
All's well that ends well, I guess. I don't know why I said that except that I felt the need for some kind of closure and nothing else came to mind. While I still feel the need to do penance for my attitude towards my youngest child's awards day, I'm sure I will have another opportunity to put on my happy attitude at next year's ceremony, where I will have even longer to wait for the 8th grade awards.

1 comment:

Barb said...

I get to be indoctrinated into the awards ceremony life next friday night (when I SHOULD be at K's graduation). Apparently Cambridge has one big sports banquet, where everyone attends, from 12-2 that day. Then the BIG awards ceremony (academics and art) is that night, and usually lasts about 3 hours. And it's mandatory for faculty. Great! (sarcasm intended).