Sunday, February 7, 2010

Zimbabwe, Genetic Mutation and the U.S. Dept. of Education

What could these three things possibly have in common, you might ask? They are the topics of my children's projects that have consumed most of my weekend. All three girls had a major one due on Monday. Every time I turned around this weekend, I was handed a piece of paper to be reviewed, index cards to be checked, posters and boards to be formatted, etc., etc., etc. My head is full of information currently swimming therein. (And who writes using the word "therein?" Proof that my brain has suffered some type of "mutation" this weekend.)

A second question you might ask would be, "Well, other than exhaustion did you gain anything from helping with these three projects?" The answer would be "Yes!"

I learned:

1. The Dept. of Education is a seriously overstaffed, overspending federal agency that doesn't really do anything but try to enforce lots of rules based on lots of statistics, most of which are probably created to suit their nefarious purposes. Some guy named Arne is the head of it. What kind of name is Arne? Wonder what his salary is? Can you say "red tape?" Can you say bureaucracy? I can't. It makes my head hurt.

2. Creationists are clearly the rational thinkers on the genetic mutation issue. Evolutionists missed the proverbial boat when it comes to their viewpoint. This, of course, was no surprise to me. I just wanted to reiterate that God is the Creator and in charge of it all. Thank goodness! Also, I'm so glad I've missed crossing paths with the seven-legged frog, the see-through toad, the two-headed snake and the monkey-faced pig. (Although I hear the circus is coming to town next week)

3. Zimbabwe is a country with a history of confusing acronyms, leaders named Mufasa and the British occasionally popping up to try and claim power over guys named Mombo and Sfunga. Some guys came into power and ran off the other guys who were head of groups with acronyms for names. Oh yeah...Abigail's timeline of Zimbabwean history looks great.

As does Katherine's board.

And Rebecca's poster.

Are we finished yet? Because I've got to get my tickets to the circus.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow you have had a busy weekend! But I have to say, you sound really intelligent! Just think about how much more you know. By the way, please don't tell me that you didn't get to scrapbook during the Super Bowl.

Barb said...

If I didn't know what was going on, the title of this post would have made me NOT want to read it. ;) As for the timelines and posters, they all looked fabulous - especially K's, I must say. A giant scrapbook page :)