Monday, February 8, 2010

Restaurant Style Salsa

Here to share my latest success story with this delicious salsa recipe from The Pioneer Woman. (I should make that a link, but just too tired and lazy. Shouldn't honesty count for something?)

A little background: We received a gift of homemade salsa and chips for Christmas. Everyone, and I do mean everyone, in the family raved and raved about how amazing it was and it was sooooo much better than that "junk" I usually buy. (I must stand up for Pace Picante Sauce here. I think it tastes good!) I think those two jars of salsa lasted maybe two days.

When I saw a recipe this week for "Restaurant Style Salsa" I thought, why not? I'll give it a whirl. It can't be THAT much better. I have been proven wrong. It's delicious. So tasty that I decided to share it with you, along with a couple tiny changes from the original that will allow me to call it "Genny's Pioneer Woman Salsa."

  • 1 can (28 Ounce) Whole Tomatoes With Juice
  • 2 cans (10 Ounce) Rotel (diced Tomatoes And Green Chilies)
  • ¼ cup Chopped Onion
  • 2 cloves Garlic, Minced
  • 1 whole Jalapeno, Quartered And Sliced Thin (I discarded the seeds. You decide.)
  • ¼ teaspoon Sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon Salt
  • ¼ teaspoon Ground Cumin
  • ½ cups Cilantro (more to taste says PW, but I say less is best)
  • ½ whole Lime Juice
Preparation Instructions

Combine whole tomatoes, Rotel, onion, jalapeno, garlic, sugar, salt, cumin, lime juice, and cilantro in a blender or food processor. Pulse until you get the salsa to the consistency you’d like. (PW must have a very large food processor, because I had to do mine in batches or the container would have overflowed.) Anyway, that's it! Test immediately with tortilla chips. And, if you can make yourself stop testing, refrigerate salsa for at least an hour before serving. Enjoy, and say "bye-bye Pace."

No comments: