Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Necessity is the Mother of Invention

And sometimes that saying is actually true! I found that out over the Christmas holidays. I had planned to make a recipe from my favorite cookbook, The 5:30 Challenge, where each recipe only has five ingredients. This is essential to any busy life. I thought I had all the ingredients I needed for "Midweek Madness Chili." After all, there are only five of them! Turns out, all I had was the ground beef and the salsa. Not being an adventurous soul when it comes to recipes, I headed for the taco seasoning to make tacos.

Someone, I think it was Abigail, said she REALLY wanted chili. Couldn't I just make another kind of chili? After a little digging through the pantry I located a different kind of beans than the recipe required and a different kind of tomatoes. OK...but if it tastes bad, I'm not to blame.

Time passes...chili ready...family sits down to dinner...Jeff says, "What did you do to the chili?" I knew this would happen, I thought silently to myself. "This is the best chili you've ever made," he says. What? "Oh, I didn't have all the ingredients, so I just made something up," I reply.

Since it was Christmas Eve, Abigail renamed it "Genny's Christmas Chili." And the reason I'm writing this post is because we had chili tonight -- the new kind, not the old kind. If you need a really simple, delicious recipe for your midweek madness, here it is.

Genny's Christmas Chili

1 lb. ground beef
1 cup salsa (I use Pace picante sauce)
1 can Hunt's Roasted Garlic Diced Tomatoes
1 can Ranch Style Beans
1-2 T. chili seasoning mix

Cook the ground beef and drain. I usually season mine with onion powder, garlic salt and pepper. Here's the best part. Add the remaining ingredients, stir, and simmer over low heat for 15-20 minutes. Done! I serve mine with sour cream and cheese. Sometimes over rice. Always with crackers. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Penny said...

Sometimes the things we put the least effort into are the things they enjoy the most!!

Peas on Earth said...

Mmmm! We don't necessarily have all of those exact ingredients, but Paul was just saying today that he wants to have chili. Can't wait to try our own version of your Christmas Chili! :D
sharon