Monday, April 13, 2009

I Had a Little Turtle

I had a little turtle, who lived in a box. He swam in the water and climbed on the rocks.  Sorry, returning to childhood...  Actually I did have a pet turtle when I was younger. "His" name was Myrtle. I know. Original.

Jeff found this little guy crossing the golf course on Saturday. He knew the girls would love him, so he brought him home in a cup.  Rebecca and Abigail spent an hour arguing over his name, and I believe we ended up with Bogey (Abigail's) and Fairway (Rebecca's).  "Call him what you want!" I yelled. Well, I had to yell over them. I wasn't frustrated because they were fighting over the name of a turtle! Not at all. Nope.

We set him up in an abandoned fish bowl with some pretty rocks and water. Oh, and a lamp, because turtles "must have 2-3 hours per day of basking," says Google.  We've tried various food items for him to eat:  lettuce, grapes, piece of banana, bloodworms from our fish food. He doesn't seem to be interested in much of anything, although I believe he ate a moth that Katherine captured last night.  
Isn't he cute?


I'm not sure if we will keep Bogey Fairway Turtle. He would probably be happier "in the wild."  I guess if we could be sure he was actually eating something, we might.  And, really...do I need to add one more thing to my daily question:  "Abigail, have you fed the dog, rabbits, fish, hermit crab, turtle?"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

O.K., forget the turtle...I want to see pictures of Katherine and the prom dress!

Genny said...

Dear Anonymous,
YOUR granddaughter did not take any pictures with her camera! Can you even IMAGINE?!? Therefore, I am relying on the charity of her friends to get them to me on a CD. As soon as I have them, a blog post will go up and you will be notified directly.

TRUST ME...she has been properly punished. Oh, and by the way...she was gorgeous!

Melissa said...

I always wanted a turtle when I was a kid - back when you could get those cute little ones at the pet store. Sadly, I never got one. I can't really get too riled up about no one getting me one, since all my poor kids want is a simple little fish and I've not managed to get that done. (But in all fairness the last fish we had had a little fishing "accident", so....) Life's too complicated with just the kids. Do I really need to add pets (and fishing accidents) to the mix?