Tuesday, August 26, 2008

It's Just Tearing Me Up

Tearing out carpet...killing the sinuses...but it must be done. After 10 long years of living with the ugly, stained gray carpet, we are ready to put down a new floor. Unbeknownst (great word) to us, there was a parquet floor underneath the carpet! I could have screamed. We could have been living with a fairly decent wood floor all these years instead of that allergen-infested gray matter. Oh well...

There was also a small bricked off area, that we can only guess might have held some type of heater or fireplace. Well, it's gone now...and EVERYTHING is covered in dust. Achoooooo...... Thankfully the wood tiles were very easy to just pop up.




As you can see, the carpet under the piano will be the last to be removed. Any strong guys out there need something to do?


What a girl...Abigail picks up tiles in spite of her allergies. I have Benadryl standing by. By the way, has anyone seen Rebecca or Katherine?

A clean slate...

Sample of the new floor

After photos coming soon...

10 comments:

Barb said...

Wow, looks different! I can't wait to see the finished product.

Melissa said...

Even scuffed and kinda dusty, that floor looked pretty good - such a shame it was there all the time. Oh well, it's going to look fabulous with the new stuff. And I still love those curtains. I can't wait to see it all put together.

Genny said...

I'm so excited to put out the new pillows and stuff. Thanks to Melissa for all her shopping/color expertise.

Melissa said...

I found a little "room warming" gift. I hope it's the right color. We'll see.

Genny said...

Melissa, you shouldn't have. But, I can't wait to see it!

Anonymous said...

Yea! I'm sure I will enjoy this blog as much as your concrete staining adventure. Can't wait to see the new room!

Anonymous said...

i am apalled. of course you decided to take pictures the minute i take a break from working because my nose was about to have an allergetic heart attack. Hmph

Peas on Earth said...

Guess what!?!? We have a concrete floor right now, too! And 18 boxes of laminate acclimated and ready to become my LABOR day project!! :-) Let me know if you have any brilliant revelations, etc., where I might learn from your mistakes ... and I will do the same! :-)

Michele Davis said...

I can't wait to see it finished! It's gonna look sooo good! :D

Genny said...

Sharon, It's probably one of the easiest projects/floors to install.(Of course, I've been mainly observing and taking photos.) Our advice is: "Measure TWICE, cut ONCE" and remind you when they say to start from the left, START FROM THE LEFT.