Saturday, August 9, 2008

Family Vacation - San Antonio

To round out our summer, we took a short family vacation to San Antonio. Seems like our entire summer was spent here and there, with one or two people gone almost every week. We thought it would be great to "finish up" summer all together. Jeff was working in Kerrville on Monday, so we met our friends, The Halls, for a day of shopping at La Contera in San Antonio.
And, the girls will tell you, we shopped till we dropped. Very hot...


On Tuesday morning we drove to Sea World. The day started off pretty warm, but a couple small rain showers during the day cooled everything off and it was very pleasant. We had a wonderful day and ended up staying until the park closed at 8 p.m.
Yea! We're at Sea World and our mom is forcing
us to take pictures together in front of everything
that has a killer whale on it.

We started our day by feeding the dolphins. Fantastic! They always look so happy to see you. Rebecca and Abigail were able to pet the dolphin they fed. Katherine's and Genny's dolphins weren't so cooperative. We could have stayed and watched them swim around much longer, but we headed to the aquarium and viewed the sharks, rays, and penguins.

We saw both Shamu shows and, of course, I have no pictures to do either of them justice. They were both so good. We're still talking about them. The sea lions were funny, barking for food. We were sad that the sea lion show was cancelled due to the weather. Guess we'll have to go back to see that one.







Of course I loved the purple set in Shamu Stadium.

How can a killer whale look so sweet?

Jeff had to work on Wednesday morning, so the girls all laid around the hotel room stuffing themselves on Disney Channel, Animal Planet and Food Network. Hey, we can't help it. We don't have cable at home. Gotta watch when we can.

Wednesdsay afternoon we drove downtown to the Alamo. After a brief history review that morning, which the girls pretended to be interested in, we spent a couple hours "Remembering the Alamo!" I always get choked up when I think of the men who gave their lives fighting for freedom.
It was boiling hot that day, so we bought snowcones in front of the Alamo and quickly proceeded underground to the coolness of the Riverwalk.




It was a great day. After strolling around for awhile, and stopping to take Rebecca's picture on every bridge imaginable (I'm on the bridge, Charlie....) we decided to eat at Casa Rio. Yummy! The girls fed the pigeons and ducks pieces of tortilla, until they were taking over our table and we had to shoo them away so we could eat.



On Thursday morning, Jeff allowed everyone a couple more hours of cable and then we headed for home. We dropped Katherine off at the Halls for an extended visit and will return to get her on Monday. Hope I don't forget to pick her up. I'm already getting back into school mode. Sadly, summer is coming to a close...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

looks like fun, but I'm glad you're home!

Barb said...

Looks fabulous! I can't wait to go to Sea World! Two more weeks!

And I'll second Paige's comment - you've been gone too long. It's about time you spent some time at home! :)

Melissa said...

Looks like fun. Wish we could have taken another little trip before the summer was over. We didn't do much at all this summer. At least I'm not suffering from PVSS. I'm suffering more from boring summer/ life's not exactly going my way lately disorder. BS/LNEGMWLD??? If I hadn't bookended my summer with a way too short beach trip and SCC, it would have been a total loss. But with a little beach and SCC, it wasn't too bad, I guess. I'll have to scrap book those events and relive the memories. We've got to think about school pretty soon. Yuck. Got to set our gameplan for getting Michele finished by the end of this year. Oh dear! I've tried to send you a couple of messages on facebook and they aren't going through. I'm not ignoring you - really! We'll be there this weekend. Yea!

Michele Davis said...

aw! looks like fun! I LOVE sea world! =)

Anonymous said...

AHHHHHH....can you tell I'm just getting around to reading all the blogs I missed this summer...

Ahem........San Antonio and no call!!!!!

Actually, we were in Utopia at the time, so we weren't here anyway.

Listen to me and repeat....We will call Mary, We will call Mary, We will call Mary anytime we are in San Antonio..

Your vacation looks like fun.
This is a great city to visit.
Mary