Thursday, September 9, 2010

When It Rains, It Flash Floods

The effects of Tropical Storm Hermine were seen yesterday in Arlington at Grace Prep Academy. Jeff drove the girls to school as he always does when it's raining hard. I-20 is usually a nightmare trek, so I was glad to stay home and watch the rain as I drank my coffee. He dropped them off at 8:00, only a few minutes late. Two hours later, the girls texted us telling us they were going to be evacuated by Arlington Fire & Rescue. Rebecca's text (almost) made me smile:

"We are fine! No danger! Do not come to the parking lot. It is flooded. Cars are almost covered! D:"

Students were evacuated to Arlington ISD school buses and driven to the church around the corner where we picked them up a couple hours later.

Here are some pictures I received that people took on their iPhones...



It's shocking what can happen in just two hours. The principal later said she wishes she could have sent the students with cars to move them to higher ground, but there was just no time. I am so sad for the amount of loss that will be experienced with cars and property; however, it is just stuff. (Notice I can say this freely because my car was not in the parking lot.)

This is definitely not the way to make the local news. I am grateful for the safety of everyone, however, and thankful for God's protection over the girls.

4 comments:

Penny said...

Rebecca called me that day. She was trying to get to DBU and was sitting on the interstate barely creeping. She told me she could see Grace Prep flooded. I never asked her how much water was on the interstate and probably best that this mom didn't know either.

Yes, thankful for their protection.

Anonymous said...

We were headed home from Granbury and I was wondering as I saw the dark,angry sky if the girls were having school. "Surely they canceled it!", I thought. I loved Bex's text. What a girl!!! Thank the Lord everyone was safe, although looks like some of the cars took a beating.

Katherine said...

hello there...long time never post!(referring to me)
but guess what!i'm turning over a new leaf!
http://theamateurartist.blogspot.com/2010/09/new-start-with-art.html you should check it out. tell your friends!!

Barb said...

Holy cow, that's a lot of water! Can't believe I'm just now seeing this post, but better late than never :)