Thursday, July 24, 2008

Stephen Curtis Chapman Concert

Last weekend, Melissa and I went to see Stephen Curtis Chapman at First Baptist Euless. I can honestly say the concert was, by far, the best I've ever attended. This has been a dream of ours for awhile, to go to one of his concerts together. We have both enjoyed/loved his music for many years. We were practically giddy just standing outside the doors waiting to get in. As soon as the doors opened, we rushed for a good seat and, without knocking too many little old ladies down, were able to get seats on the fifth row.

We knew the concert would be hard, in that he had returned to touring only the previous week. He spoke freely about the death of his daughter only a couple months before. I personally don't know how he got through any of the songs. He shared that many of his songs had taken on new meaning since Maria's death and he had been forced to choose whether or not he believed what he had written all those years ago. Of course I had to get out the tissues when he sang "Cinderella." And, when he sang "Be Still and Know." (my all time SCC favorite) Okay...so I teared up through most of the concert.
He played the piano and guitar for the concert -- just him, no band.

The concert benefitted the Mid-Cities Crisis Pregnancy Center.
Much of what he shared/sang about was supporting adoption.



Stephen Curtis Chapman groupies

Thank you, Melissa, for getting the tickets. And, for letting me steal/borrow these pics from Facebook without permission. I loved every minute of that evening and will remember it for a long, long time.

Remembering Maria Chapman...

"All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be." Psalm 139:16

2 comments:

Barb said...

I'm so jealous! Even though I've seen him in concert before, this looks incredible. And 5th row - awesome! I'm sure the concert was a blessing for both of you.

Melissa said...

Okay, I've been working on my own SCC blog post all week and the pictures won't upload - and now you've used all the pics I was trying to upload anyway, so do I even want to keep trying?

It was amazing - I'm pretty sure there will not be another night quite like it (love the solo acoustic thing) - amazing night, amazing seats, amazing stories, amazing faith - I wish more amazing pictures - loved it!