Thursday, July 3, 2008

HOPE '08

It's been a very long week.  My hands are testifying this morning to 12 hours of playing the piano for choir rehearsals.  I had no idea you could play the piano until your joints ached.  When we finished last night, my fingers literally felt like they were buzzing.  With that said, I'm having the time of my life.  

Two months ago I was asked to accompany the youth choir on keyboard for their summer choir tour.  I figured they were raking the bottom of the barrel at that point; however, I had no good reason to decline and God said, "Go!"  After conquering my fear of playing with a band, I've settled into a great rhythm (pun intended) and other than sore hands and arms, am enjoying the experience immensely.  

The theme of our concert is HOPE '08.  Our message?  Jesus Christ is our only hope.  Words from one of our songs say:
You are my hope. Hope like no other.
Hope like no other, reaches to me.
In the fullness of Your grace, in the power of Your name,
You lift me up.  You lift me up.

As I was scrapbooking earlier in the week, I came across a note that Jeff had written and put in my suitcase when I went to Vancouver last summer.  He ended the note with Psalm 33:22, which I've added to the top of my blog.  I loved so much what that said that I decided to read the entire Psalm today.  Wow...can the words be any more appropriate for someone who's been playing/singing/preparing all week to share God's hope through music?

"Sing for joy in the Lord, O you righteous ones;
Praise is becoming to the upright.
Give thanks to the Lord with the lyre; (guitar?)
Sing praises to Him with a harp of ten strings. (keyboard?)
Sing to Him a new song;
Play skillfully (I'm trying) with a shout of joy.

Our soul waits for the Lord;
He is our help and our shield.
For our heart rejoices in Him,
Because we trust in His holy name.
Let thy lovingkindness, O Lord, be upon us,
According as we have hoped in Thee."
Psalm 33:1-3, 20-22

We leave Sunday morning, July 6.  We will sing 4 concerts during the evenings and work during the day for First Baptist Church, Lytle and the Frio River Baptist Association.  We would appreciate your prayers for us next week.  Pray that our lives would be a picture of the HOPE we have in Jesus Christ.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to hear about your trip and all the great things I know will happen! You'll do great with the band (ha, you're with the band!) - just take some Tylenol!

Penny said...

May God do mighting things through and in the YCAM group this week!

Barb said...

I look forward to hearing all about it too. I'm sure you'll do great, and I pray the concerts are a blessing to all who hear and to all who participate in them. See you soon!

Michele Davis said...

I'm so glad you got to come on the trip! I hope you enjoyed it! :)

p.s. I just saw the anne of green gables poll :(... I'm sad I missed it...

so to quote the movie...

"My life is a perfect graveyard of buried hopes. That's a sentence I read once and I say it over to comfort myself in these times that try the soul." -Anne Shirley

=)

Barb said...

waiting for an update of stories, pics, etc. from the trip... hint hint!