Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Final Touches

The search for my final decoration for the fireplace became known in the family as "Search for the Holy Grail" or "The Holy Coral." I wanted a piece of white coral to put on the fireplace - simple and matching my beach theme. I had no idea how expensive it would be! My thrifty nature would not allow me to spend a lot of money on something that was just going to sit on my mantel, no matter how much I wanted it. After scouring pretty much every souvenir shop in Gulf Shores and Orange Beach, I finally found what I was searching for. And, at a price I could live with. (Sorry that I just ended two sentences in a row with prepositions. I hate that.) The coral made it all the way home to its resting place and I really love looking at it every day.

Thanks to my mother the hydrangea wreath has been completed! I wish the photo did it justice, but the lighting is just not great in that corner of the room. The subtle hues of blue, green and purple are just perfect to display on that wall. 

And here they are together. As you can see, Betty Lou has been demoted to sit in front of the fireplace for now. She's about to hit the pageant circuit (my words for traveling around to various art contests) and will eventually end up in College Station on Grandmother's kitchen wall.

I'm looking forward to taking a little decorating break for now. School has started, so other projects are calling my name. 

1 comment:

Barb said...

I like it! Any chance your decorating break involves helping me with some redecorating?