Saturday, October 29, 2011

Word Choices, or as I like to call them, Semantics

Really?!?

Seriously?!?

Whatever...

This sounds like something one of my teenagers might say, along with rolled eyes and a heavy sigh, but actually that's me you're listening to. I have found there is a strong correlation between how I feel physically and how my words sound coming out of my mouth.

As I mentioned in a previous post, my "neck issues" have returned in full force this week. I have been in a great deal of pain for a good portion of the last 8 days. I find that when I am in pain the regulatory device that controls my words tends to be on the fritz, as well. When you are in pain, you don't really care about being polite or politically correct. (Although I usually do not subscribe to being politically correct when I feel great either.) It really boils down to the fact that you are hurting, you want people to stop talking and go away, unless they are standing in front of you with a glass of water and a fistful of muscle relaxers, followed quickly by "Hey, let me massage your neck and back for you. I'm free for an hour!"

Here are some examples:

1. Abigail has to be reminded to feed the bunnies.
Healthy Genny: "Absie, don't forget to feed the bunnies before you go to school...sweetie."
Genny in Pain: "If I have to remind you one more stinkin' time to feed those rabbits, we are taking them to the nearest park and throwing them out for the coyotes to eat!"


2. Genny prepares dinner
Healthy Genny: "Time to eat, everyone. I made your favorites!" (spoken in sing-song voice)
Genny in Pain: Child: "Mom, what's for dinner?" Me: "Like I care? You should be cooking for me."


3. Girls ask for help with homework
Healthy Genny: "Why I would love to edit your 8-page paper! It's my greatest joy to help you."
Genny in Pain: "It'll be fine like it is. Who cares if you get a bad grade? Doesn't your teacher always drop the lowest score?"

Now I hope you realize I'm kidding...um, yeah, well kinda...I'm pretty sure I'm joking. Yes, that's it. I was just playing with ya. After all, it's only semantics...right?

No comments: