Thursday, August 11, 2011

Oh, Canada - Part Two

On Sunday morning we drove to Niagara Falls on the American side. On this side you park your car, walk several yards down and then all of a sudden you see this mist rising up. The color is incredibly blue and the mist is so fine it looks like smoke. The water is just rushing by, a beautiful sound and the mist does get you wet a little. The rainbow just sits there, a permanent part of the creation. It's really breathtaking.




This is a view of the American Falls with the Observation Tower in the background. Yes, we walked out on that platform. It looks scarier from a distance. At the base of this tower is where you board the "Maid of the Mist" boat to travel "through" the Falls.

This is a side view of the Bridal Veil Falls, the smallest of the Falls. I put my camera strap on my wrist and leaned over the rail just a bit to get this picture. Jeff didn't want me doing that. It was perfectly safe to do.

This is a picture of what I called the "Crazy People." They donned heavy yellow ponchos and special shoes to go underneath the Falls and walk around. I just didn't feel like I needed to get that close to the action. And of course there's the whole wet, frizzy hair issue...

Closer view of the Observation Tower

Looking back at the American Falls from the Tower

On the boat! A little scary because we didn't get a side spot to hold on to any railings. We had to balance ourselves on the floor of the boat and each other. There were several times I felt like I was going to slip and fall down. If it hadn't been for Jeff's great balancing act...

View from the "Maid of the Mist," we are IN The Falls!
This post feels like one of those scenes from a movie where the friends of the vacationing couple are sitting around watching slides of their recent travels. I kept taking pictures of every available angle of the water. And here's the view from the tower, and here's the view from the boat, and here's the view from the....well, come back tomorrow for the VIEW from the Canadian side.

3 comments:

Barb said...

I haven't been to NF since high school when 1) I wasn't interested in traveling with my family, and 2) I wasn't a shutterbug. I SO want to go back again, especially now that I see your pics. Look forward to seeing the scrapbook page of these great shots. Maybe in 2013? ;)

Penny said...

How come Jeff looks more wet than you?

Genny said...

Because he was! I kept my hood firmly over my head most of the trip because I can't stand frizzy wet hair. Yes, I am vain.

And Barb, forgot to tell you I bought Niagara Falls scrapbook paper while I was there. yay!