Thursday, February 3, 2011

Arctic Blast of 2011

And, here's the reason we've been trapped at home for going on three days now -- the ice storm of February 2011. It's been colder than I can ever remember it being since I've lived in Ft. Worth. The temperatures have hovered in the teens, with the highs the last three days being in the high 20's. The roads are covered with ice, especially in the neighborhoods, so getting out would be pretty dangerous. I don't think anyone, even the weathermen, expected that we would be shut down so completely for so many days. The girls have only missed one day of school so far, but I'm wondering if we will be able to go tomorrow. I think there might be snow in the forecast for tonight and tomorrow.

As of this morning our pool is completely frozen over. The ice goes down about 2 inches, according to Abigail who had to get out and bust a hole in it to see. We've kept busy with watching TV, cleaning house, some homework and I plan to scrapbook today. Facebook has kept everyone entertained. It's also been a chore to keep the rabbits from turning into bunny popsicles. They spent most of the day inside yesterday and just keeping their water switched out from freezing has been a full-time job.

We have plenty of food to last us several more days, but are hoping to venture out tomorrow afternoon or on Saturday. I dread the electric bill next month, but am very thankful for a warm house to keep us sheltered. I even managed to build a fire yesterday, all by myself. Very proud of that, since Scouting was not one of my childhood activities.

Here's a few photos of the last couple days.












2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you brought the bunnies inside. I was concerned about their water freezing and them not eating.
I'm proud of your fire. Even us girls who grew up not being a girl scout can build a good fire...especially when we are freezing to death!

Barb said...

Please, Lord, let us be able to get out tomorrow! I did venture out briefly yesterday and today, just far enough to get stuff to try and melt my steps (and then a shovel today because the melting wasn't working).

BTW, how did you get the thick white border on your pics?