Thursday, February 3, 2011

Define "busy"

--adjective
1. actively and attentively engaged in work or a pastime: busy with her work
2. not at leisure; otherwise engaged: He couldn't see any visitors because he was busy.
3. full of or characterized by activity: a busy life

And I'll take number three for $200, Alex...

I hate being "busy." Detested "busy work" in school. I REALLY hate the "busy-ness" of driving here and there, which leads me to the point of this post: if I hate the forced driving hither and yon that I have to do, why do I despise being forced into the very opposite of that? Let me explain.

Let's take one day last week as an example: (realizing this is probably way more than you ever wanted to know about my schedule)

6:00 a.m. Breakfast/coffee, Bible, made girls' lunches
7:25 a.m. Drove girls to school
8:15 a.m. Return home, various tasks, shower, etc.
10:30 a.m. Drove back to school to get Bec for Dr. appt.
11:30 a.m. Dr. appointment in Ft. Worth
12:15 p.m. Drive thru lunch while heading to school
12:40 p.m. Bec is dropped off at GPA
1:00 p.m. Arrive back in Ft. Worth with one hour at home
2:00 p.m. Back to Arlington to pick up Abigail
2:20 p.m. Arrive home, Abigail dress for basketball
4:00 p.m. Drop off Abigail at school to catch bus
4:30 p.m. Drive to pick up Bec at her practice (ends at 5:30)
5:30 p.m. Drive to Abigail's 6 p.m. game

For some reason, this schedule "drives" (ha, ha) me crazy. I guess it's because I feel like I am not being productive, meaning I didn't get much accomplished at home. I know there was productivity going on because I got the girls, safely in one piece, to their required destinations and appointments. That was progress for that day.

So, here's the question: when forces beyond my control (acts of God/snow/ICE) keep me homebound for going on 3 days now, why do I just want to get out of the house and drive?!? Anywhere! Just let me out. I feel a little bit like the Israelites who whined about wanting to go back to Egypt where they had it so good. And, deep inside, I hear God saying to me, "I am giving you what you asked for. Less busy-ness. Time at home. Quiet. Stillness. NO DRIVING. Now get in that house and enjoy it!"

He says, "Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth."
Psalm 46:10

Okay...I get it.

No comments: