Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Sickness and Promises

I've been sick for a little over a week now. Started with a tickle in my throat, added a cough, got a little better, sinuses became involved, cough came back, major drainage, and now laryngitis.  In short, I feel pretty bad. 

As most of you know, our children's musical, Promise U, was presented on Sunday, May 3.  I think I've kept myself going by sheer force of will to complete that production. Now that it's over, my body has said, "OK...I'm done. No more! Collapse." 

The items in the picture have been my constant companions over the last week:  
1. Water - only because I hear it's supposed to help
2. Kleenex - obvious
3. Mucinex - supposed to get rid of mucous -- can you say NOT WORKING?!?
4. Nyquil - to sleep at night -- that's working
5. Airborne - big dose of vitamin C. I take my Motrin with it. Double whammy.
6. Cough drops - tired of them
7. Hot tea - I'm floating I've had so much tea. (but I still love it!)
8. Nail polish - It's not doing anything for sickness, but I've got to have something to do tomorrow while I'm stuck on the couch.

One of the problems I have after the musical is over each year is that every time I am still, the songs continue to go through my head. When I'm trying to sleep, here they come, taunting me with their repetition and beat.  Lying on the couch all day the songs have been my constant companions, much like the items in the picture above.  I also laid there today and thought of all my favorite parts of the drama, singing, lighting and choreography.  As I went through the entire show in my mind, I started thinking of all God's promises that we sang about. Now those are something to remember:

* God can change us.
* God keeps His Word.
* God will always be with you.
* God rewards the faithful.
* God is beside us to lead and guide us.
* God will multiply our gifts.
* All who call on the name of the Lord will be saved.
* All God's promises are "YES" in Jesus.

I can only hope these thoughts are sticking in the kids' minds as they are in mine.  I'm thankful for God's promises and that what He has promised He will do.  You can check it out. It's in the Bible. And that's the truth, man. (had to be there) 

To see some great pictures of the musical, go to Barb's Wire. I will not post any here because I did not take any. Hey, give me a break, I was sick!

And now, I'll go do my fourth and final sinus rinse of the day, so that hopefully I will be able to breathe while I sleep. Trust me. You do not want a picture of that. Promise.

2 comments:

Penny said...

You have to drink lots of water for the Mucinex to work. Increase your dosage.
Musical was good!

Barb said...

This musical was certainly full of amazing promises. It was great to be reminded of them as we rehearsed for months, and it will be great to remember them over the years.

Oh, and that pic is a lot like the one I took in March. I'm so sorry you and the girls have been sick. Feel better soon, all of you!