Thursday, October 30, 2008

Deceptively Delicious - Take Two

I would like to first point out that this recipe was made BY REQUEST of one of my children. Truly. So, Katherine, this one's for you. Today's secret ingredients were carrot puree' and cauliflower puree'. The recipe was Carrot Muffins with Orange Cream Cheese Frosting. These were met with a little more approval than the brownies. Of course, everyone but Jeff knew what the secret ingredients were before even taking the first bite.

Note to anyone trying this method: make sure your veggies are completely smooth. Katherine took one bite and found a huge hunk of cauliflower in her muffin. Not good. She thought they were pretty good. Abigail said, "They're not bad..." and Jeff said, "I ate two!" (Nice try. I know you finished off Abigail's for her.) I haven't tried them yet because I'm waiting to have one later with a cup of hot tea.

I guess the funniest comment of the night came from Rebecca, as we were discussing why someone would put ground up vegetables in "regular" food. "Why are you upsetting the balance of nature??!!??" Because I can, Rebecca. Because I can. Sigh...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really don't like most veggies, so maybe this would be the way to go for me, but your family's mild enthusiasm isn't convincing me yet.

Genny said...

My kids are crazy. These muffins are delicious! Of course, I've always said you can put cream cheese on cardboard and I would eat it. Hmmm...

Penny said...

Yeah Genny for not giving up!

Melissa said...

I've always chopped up/pureed various veggies and put them in my meatloaf. I also make corbread muffins with meat and cheese and usually throw various veggies in those (pureed, of course, and unbeknownst to unsuspecting children). Pretty good stuff. This keeps those dreaded veggies more with "their own kind". I might have to go with the children on this one - not sure about the veggies in the sweet baked goods. Seems wrong in some way. I think I want my sweets completely without nutritional value - bad all the way. Although I have to agree with the cream cheese thing - can't go wrong there.

Barb said...

these muffins actually were good - and this comes from one of the pickiest eaters on earth. the icing, i wasn't too fond of. but the muffins were tasty.

Anonymous said...

I don't understand disguising vegetables...You should make them eat whatever is on their plate. If my mother fixed it, I had to eat it, even if I gagged it down! Although I did use to stuff my English peas in my mouth, run outside and spit them out behind the Arborvitae bush. But today, I "love" English peas. The only thing I don't like now that I was forced to eat is oatmeal... unless it is in cookies. Does that count? Oh yeah, that's not a vegetable. Hey, by the way, I think your mother made you eat your vegetables, didn't she? I remember you sitting in your high chair stuffing a "small" can of English peas in your mouth with your two fingers!