Saturday, November 1, 2008

My Grandpa

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart.  ~Unknown

Nobody can do for little children what grandparents do.  Grandparents sort of sprinkle stardust over the lives of little children.  ~Alex Haley









Here I am talking with my hands, explaining who knows what to my grandpa, and he, patiently listening as always...Nov. 2007



My grandpa was definitely a stardust sprinkler. He died Friday, October 31, 2008 at the age of 93 years.  He was a classic. I just wanted to honor him here with a few things that I most remember about him.
  • He was a fanatic about taking pictures. He always had a camera around his neck.
  • He would always pull out his pocket knife and slowly slit the tape on his Christmas presents. It took him forever!
  • He loved to listen to me play the piano.
  • He wore cardigan sweaters that just said, "Grandpa."
  • He would take us to the corner store for candy.
  • He called my girls "Little Boogers."
  • He loved telling stories about his youth, especially about Clyde Barrow (of Bonnie & Clyde fame), who he said was "a rascal, even on the playground."
  • He was a godly husband, father, grandfather and great-grandfather.
And he will be greatly missed.

5 comments:

Penny said...

He sounds like a wonderful grandfather who was a blessing to be around!

Barb said...

I am so sorry for your loss, but I'm glad you have such great memories of your grandpa.

Peas on Earth said...

What a precious legacy. :-)
He sounds like someone I would like to meet someday.

Bartley Family said...

our sympathies to your family. I know it's bittersweet to mourn a loss and celebrate a home going. Glad you have good memories and pictures to pass on. Sounds like he left a legacy of blessing!

Anonymous said...

He sounds wonderful! I'm so sorry for your loss. I'll be praying for you.