Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Making Twinkies

In recent days the cries of "No more Twinkies ever!" have been resounding around the U.S. I'll be honest...I haven't even tasted a Twinkie since I was in elementary school and I don't remember liking them that much then. All I remember is a very dry no-taste cake with a sticky center. So, when I posted on Facebook a few days ago about saving the world with my homemade Twinkie and Ding Dong Cupcakes, I thought "hey, why not look for a recipe?" And here we are.

I will say that I am going to have a hard time making these again. They are extremely time consuming when compared to the cupcakes I normally make and, like their namesakes, I don't think you get that much taste for your buck. They are better tasting than "real" Twinkies to be sure, but I'm just not sure they are worth that much effort. (Maybe the Ding Dongs will be better? They are chocolate after all.)

Right out of the oven. They look very Twinkie-ish in color.

Centers were carved out (by hand) by my extremely capable assistant, Abigail



Marshmallow Creme filling was piped in,

cores were returned to place,

And Marshmallow Creme frosting was added. Yes, I know Twinkies don't have icing on the outside, but these are cupcakes after all.

And...tahdah! 

Early taste testers revealed their surprise at how much they tasted like actual Twinkies, but better. For now they've gone into the freezer to wait for serving on Thanksgiving Day.  Stay tuned for "Making Hostess Ding Dongs Better," coming soon to a blog near you. This one.

No comments: