Tuesday, December 13, 2011

My Second Football Post This Year

Who would have thought I would be writing about football in just a matter of months from my first post about the game? I guess technically this post isn't about a game as much as it is about a player -- Tim Tebow. The Denver Broncos' quarterback has been in the news the last few weeks due to the fact that he is an outspoken Christian and the media can't get enough of the reaction to his bowing and praying on the football field. I would say he has endured much persecution these last days and I expect it will only get worse. What I love about Tebow is that he is standing strong. I'm praying that he will continue to be a faithful witness in a very worldly, ungodly atmosphere.

So, to get to my point...I've been doing a Bible Study on the books of 1 & 2 Timothy the last several weeks. This morning I was reviewing lists of characteristics of believers and unbelievers. The challenge was to apply them to our own lives and see where we stand. As I read the lists, Tebow came to mind. It also struck me how closely the "Tebow haters" and those who make fun of him resemble the "Unbelievers" lists. Check it out:

worldly, empty chatter
gone astray from truth
foolish/ignorant speculations
lovers of self
revilers
unholy
unloving
brutal
haters of good
treacherous
oppose the truth
go from bad to worse
not enduring sound docrine
lovers of the world
vigorously oppose Christian teachings

This week a player on the opposing team actually bowed and pretended to pray, making fun of Tebow directly on the field! A sportswriter commented that if Tebow had done the same thing, but making fun of a Muslim that he would have been fined and hauled off to jail!

Quoting the words of Paul in 2 Timothy 4:17-18 here's what I would challenge Tim Tebow to remember: "But the Lord stood with me, and strengthened me, in order that through me the proclamation might be fully accomplished, and that all the Gentiles might hear; and I was delivered out of the lion's mouth. The Lord will deliver me from every evil deed, and will bring me safely to His heavenly kingdom; to Him be the glory forever and ever. Amen."

And Amen again!

No comments: