Monday, November 16, 2009

On the Brink of Magnificence and She Just Wants a Taco

Last Saturday Abigail attended her final piano competition of 2009 -- the Texas Music Teachers Association Jazz and Hymn Festival. It requires quite a bit of preparation: one memorized jazz piece, one piece to be played as an offertory for church, and two hymns played as accompaniment.

Side Story (Background important for the telling of this story): For the last few weeks every time we pass a Taco Casa restaurant Abigail says, "I want to eat at Taco Casa!" When asked why, she just smiles and says, "I just want to eat there." Oookkaaayyyyy... Now, I don't know about you, but just the name Taco Casa (in English) means 'not that good' to me. The restaurants don't even look appealing. And, I feel they are probably on the level of Taco Bueno and Taco Bell -- two restaurants into which I will never step foot, unless forced to at gunpoint.

Back to our primary story...

As we were driving to Burleson for the competition, we passed, you guessed it, a Taco Casa. "TACO CASA!" Abigail shouts out. "How nice," I reply. "We should eat there," she says. Of course it's 9:30 a.m. and I'm just not feeling it. So, we pass by and on to the piano festival. Abigail plays beautifully and receives two superior ratings for her performance that day. On her written evaluation, the judge stated: "An amazing performance today, you are on the brink of magnificence." WOW! The. brink. of. magnificence. (And she's only 12!) What a commendation. Her teacher was so thrilled to have that said about one of her students. I was excited to have that said about my child. What did Abigail think?

"Can we get a taco now?"

Well, I guess it's good that she doesn't let all those fine words and bragging go to her head. And, we headed to Taco Casa. Right after I forced her to take this picture holding her ribbons.


True success for those girls on the brink of magnificence?
-- a taco from TACO CASA!


Esta' muy delicioso. Adios!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I am with Abigail! Yea, Taco Casa! My favorite place to eat other than Taco Bueno, which comes in first!,

Barb said...

Ha! That is hilarious! Way to go, Abigail, for your brilliant performance (wish I had been able to hear you play). As for the taco, I'm with you, Genny. No thank you!