Friday, October 30, 2009

I'm Not a Real Snake, I Just Play One in a Tree

Have you ever tried something to fix one problem and it created another? Kinda like taking medication for one illness and it has about 10 kinds of side affects?

Sooo....most of you know of my aversion, dare I say hatred, for squirrels. They are the most destructive of any animal on the planet. Always looking for ways to get rid of them, and having many ideas not work, (traps, cayenne pepper to name two) I read about using blow-up snakes to scare them away. Hey, I'm game for anything that will scare away a squirrel. And, since Abigail will not let me buy pellets for Jeff's BB Gun, a blow-up snake is currently my only option.

Guess what? For the most of the past few weeks, we've hardly had any squirrels. Of course I'm wondering if they have been holed up somewhere getting out of the rain, but I'm pretending the snake has done its job. It's too bad that I didn't put the snake out before the little destroyers ruined my peaches, ate every pecan on my tree, and dug up most of my potted flowers.

Now, back to my "medication causing other problems" analogy: I was in my bedroom the other day when I heard this horrible sound of birds squawking loudly outside my window. Seriously, think Alfred Hitchcock. I looked out and couldn't believe it. A flock of grackles were joined together above the pecan tree (where Mr. Snake now resides) and were screeching out the biggest racket you can imagine. What in the world? It was SO OBNOXIOUS. "They're trying to scare off the snake," Abigail said. Surely not, I was thinking. "I bet if you take the snake out of the tree, they will go away," she said. So, of course I sent her out to remove the "medication." Getting the connection? And, you won't believe it! The birds left! Thankfully, I was able to put the snake back out the next day and no birds have returned.

Keeping my fingers crossed for a yard free of squirrels, birds, and real snakes. Can you tell I'm a nature lover?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! I nearly freaked out! I thought at first the snake was real!
You better warn any friends that might drop by. You wouldn't want to be responsible for someone having a heart attack! I'm glad you are rid of the pesky squirrels, although they are pretty smart little rascals. It's possible they are busy storing up nuts for the winter and will be back in the spring!

Genny said...

Another funny story...Jeff was outside the other day and turned around and saw the snake and it scared him!

Barb said...

seeing that snake would have scared me too! this is just a really funny post. hope that snake does the trick though. no more pesky squirrels = a chance for tomatoes next year :)