Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Katherine's First Car...It's All About Me

It all begins with sweats and sheer terror, letting a 16 year old behind the wheel of your car. Then, you gradually stop slamming your foot through the floor of the passenger side. You eventually release your fingers from pressing into the dashboard. You starting breathing more evenly. Then, the day comes...their first solo flight. (which I spent on my knees)

I think more can be said about building a prayer life during this time in our lives than pretty much any other, except maybe one of our children during toddlerhood. (No names mentioned, to protect the not-so-innocent.)

As all three of our children our considered teenagers now, our lives have become an even bigger picture of a Ringling Brothers Barnum & Bailey circus finale. Let me do the math for you: 3 kids + 3 different directions = one insane minivan-driving mom.

To make a long story longer...we began to discuss the idea of a third car. All parties, especially me, were very interested. After all, this would make my life seem like a picnic, instead of a circus! To not go into debt (our goal), it was decided that Katherine would have to get a job to contribute to this car. We, and by we I mean Jeff, crunched numbers and laid it all out. First day of school came and Katherine approached us that night saying there was no way she could be a good student as well as work, so she would be foregoing the car. (all said with a very wise, but sad face)

She leaves the room. I look at Jeff and say, "Wait a minute...we're still getting the car, right?" He said, no, didn't I hear Katherine and wasn't I proud of my child for making such a mature and wise decision.

"Yes, but...what about the car?" I say in a slightly trembly voice.

"There is no car now," he replies. "No job. No car. It's that simple," and turns back to his computer.

"But, hey...hang on a minute! That car was going to change my life. What about me? Why isn't anyone considering me into this? Helloooooo!!!! Someone? Anyone? Doesn't anyone care about me? Think of how much less driving I would have to do. I could have time to cook at night if I weren't having to drive to Arlington. I could keep the house clean!" At this point, his eyebrows raise, and..."OK, fine. Maybe I still wouldn't have a clean house, but it sounds nice, doesn't it?"

So, to keep from completely boring you to death, lots of other stuff happened, with the main thing being: God provided, both the car and the money and we are grateful. And, when Katherine drives off to school with her sisters in the car, I smile, wave and say, "Drive carefully!" and as soon as the garage door is down, I run inside and keep improving my prayer life.


3 comments:

Penny said...

The prayer life only gets better as they get older. I have prayed Rebecca to all kinds of places and/or conditions I do not wish for my daughter to drive. Terrible two's were nothing compared to teenage drivers!!
And now I am working on driver #2...if only I could figure out how to make the brake on my side of the car work!

Barb said...

This was a hilarious post, and I could totally hear you saying it!

And yay, K - I love the new car!

the Provident Woman said...

I don't look forward to my kids hitting driving age.

I have a giveaway at theprovidentwoman.com click on the giveaway in the far right side bar – ends Friday at 10 pm