Friday, September 19, 2008

The Tale of the Drawing of Peter Rabbit

ONCE upon a time there were four little Rabbits, and their names were Flopsy, Mopsy, Cotton-tail, and Peter.  They lived with their Mother in a sand-bank, underneath the root of a very big fir-tree.

Flopsy, Mopsy, and Cotton-tail, who were good little bunnies, went down the lane to gather blackberries:  But Peter, who was very naughty, ran straight to Mr. McGregor's garden, and squeezed under the gate!

I have loved the story of Peter Rabbit for as long as I can remember.  When it came time to do my first nursery, naturally the characters of Beatrix Potter came to mind.  The beautiful watercolors were irresistable for a baby's room, and so Katherine's nursery was filled with Peter Rabbit, Jemima Puddleduck, Squirrel Nutkin and many others.

Recently we watched the movie Miss Potter and fell in love with her drawings all over again. I was inspired to ask Katherine to draw me a picture of Peter Rabbit.  She agreed, but like most artists, must wait for the right inspiration to create the watercolor.  As it seems, my inspiration was not her inspiration.  So, I did the next best thing:  I went out, bought some watercolor paper and a beautiful frame and plopped it in front of her.  Nothing. Not even the barest brush across the paper.  "These things can't be rushed, " she said.  Apparently.

Then, I tried the next best thing:  I nagged.  And, begged. Pleaded? Complained?  Cajoled? Gently reminded?  Nothing worked, until one day, in about 30 minutes time, she sat down at her desk and before you could blink, presented me with a beautiful watercolor -- the picture you see above and below. Miss Potter herself could not have done any better. (Well, actually I guess she did.)

It boggles my mind to think that the tiny baby I laid in the crib with Peter Rabbit sheets is now creating such a picture for me. I am honored to be the recipient of such a gift (even though I kinda had to beg for it)  I mean, she is a teenaged girl after all; but, thankfully one who is willing to humor her mother once in a while.



I am sorry to say that Peter was not very well during the evening.  His mother put him to bed, and made some camomile tea; and she gave a dose of it to Peter! But Flopsy, Mopsy, and Cotton-tail had bread and milk and blackberries, for supper.
THE END.

6 comments:

Bartley Family said...

a great post!!! She is talented a gift from God.

Anonymous said...

hoorayyyy

Anonymous said...

Wow! I want one! =) I saw that movie this summer and it was wonderful.

Barb said...

Oh wow! Fabulous! That picture is beautiful.

Now she can start working on my oil! :)

Anonymous said...

haha not so fast missy.
i need a pre payment of 75 bucks before i pull out another canvas.

Peas on Earth said...

very very pretty! I think I'm going to need something to decorate my, uh, "new floor" ... if it's ever completed, that is. Maybe something along the lines of the "Agony of Man?"

http://images.burningman.com/index.cgi?image=63